Wednesday 25 May 2011

Meeroos!

Cute and totally irresistable. BUT... I'm going to resist until I know a little more. I AM! I have to keep telling myself that a LOT. I better find out what I want to know fast before I just happen to come home with one. They REALLY are irresistable :)

They launched on Sunday and I bet they are already all over the grid.

I've tried to gather some facts for myself that I will share on this page. The official page is here.

There is some nice lore about them being discovered in the 1930's. Haven't studied that much, since it's not that interesting unless you actually get into it. But it does give a nice touch and the story seems to promise a lot more to be discovered.

I've read the FAQ and watched all the tutorials to get an idea of how it works. Doesn't look all that complicated, just enough to make it interesting. The video tutorials are very good and easy to follow.

They sleep when it's night in SL
I've registered on the webpage so I can see how customers are treated by the owners and each other. I care a lot about that. I'm in SL to have a pleasant time. Don't want to see group chat full of bureaucratic or condescending remarks flickering across my screen as soon as I log in. So far it's looking good, mostly nice people. The tone will be set by the creators/owners so I'll keep an eye on how that develops. I've met some very helpful people asking around today.

I like how it's based on cooperation in fellowships. You can create or join fellowships to help each other out with petting the Meeroos or looking after them. And you can mate your Meeroo with another one by setting them to a fellowship. I think that is really good for SL, just like the fact that there have already been announcements on the SL forum from at least one Meeroos owner offering a job to someone willing to pet their Meeroos. They were released two days ago, so that promises to be a growing job market. Which is good news not only for people needing a job but also to help keep new users in SL. And in the next step for content creators and sellers. There may be other job opportunities developing around Meeroos too.

I like the professionalism from the creators. The Meeroos have been through a long beta and at least as far as I can tell they seem to have listened closely to feedback. A lot of attention seems to have been payed to how they affect sim performance not to cause unnecessary lag. The FPS on the sims I've been to have not seemed to be affected much. The support infrastructure seems to be in place before the launch. There are lots of reports, pictures and videos from those taking part in the beta so a nice open process.

I like that they are a new special species that only exists here in SL.

Prices

To buy one Meeroo with a stump to live in and food for a week costs L$999. Watch the video about how to safely open the chest or you can lose the Meeroo!

Food for one berry eating Meeroo for 30 days cost L$225. For six L$1200 (I assume that feeds one Meeroo 180 days).

It costs L$1500 to convert your Meeroo to a pet not needing to be fed.

If they mate you don't have to "open" the nest at once. So you don't run the risk of suddenly drowning in Meeroos.

Tippa and Ghostie, our very own Meeroos
My resolve didn't even last long enough to get this published on the page. I thought of rewriting it, but I may as well let it serve as a warning to others. If you don't want Meeroos - don't look at them.

No comments: